HOTELS IN CATALINA ISLAND CA. HOTELS IN CATALINA
Hotels in catalina island ca. American inn suites ionia. Hotel decameron colombia
Hotels In Catalina Island Ca
- Santa Catalina: an island resort in the Pacific off the southwestern coast of California
- Hotel is a dimensional real estate game created by Milton Bradley in 1986. It is similar to Square Mile and Prize Property. In Hotel the players are building resort hotels and attempting to drive their competitors into bankruptcy.
- A code word representing the letter H, used in radio communication
- An establishment providing accommodations, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- HOTELS (ISSN-1047-2975) is a trade publication serving the information needs of the worldwide hospitality industry.
- (hotel) a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
- (preceding a date or amount) Circa
- calcium: a white metallic element that burns with a brilliant light; the fifth most abundant element in the earth's crust; an important component of most plants and animals
- California: a state in the western United States on the Pacific; the 3rd largest state; known for earthquakes
- Circa (; often abbreviated c., ca., ca or cca. and sometimes italicized) means "approximately", usually referring to a date , and also, less frequently, to a measurement of length or mass, as in "c25mm" or "c1oz"
Catalina Island Avalon Harbor
Prior to the modern era the island was inhabited by people of the Tongva tribe, who also lived in the area of Los Angeles, had villages near present day San Pedro and Playa del Rey, and who regularly traveled back and forth to Catalina for trade. The Tongva called the island Pimu or Pimungna.
The first European to ever set foot on the island was the Portuguese explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, sailing for Spain. This happened on October 7, 1542. He claimed the island for Spain and christened it San Salvador. Another Spanish explorer, Sebastian Vizcaino, rediscovered the island on the eve of Saint Catherine's day (November 24) in 1602. He renamed it Santa Catalina.
During the following 300 years, the island served as home or base of operation for all sorts of visitors, from Russian otter hunters to Spanish smugglers to Chinese pirates. Franciscan monks tried to build a mission there, but failed due to the lack of fresh water on the island. The native population was mostly wiped out during 19th century. Catalina Island experienced a brief period of gold rush in 1860s, but no gold was found, and ultimately those early mining attempts were abandoned. By the end of 19th century, the island was almost uninhabited except for a few cattle herders. At that time, its location just 20 miles from Los Angeles—the city that had reached the population of 50,000 in 1890 and was undergoing the period of enormous growth—was a major factor that contributed to the development of the island into a vacation destination.
The sons of Phineas Banning bought the island in 1891 from the estate of James Lick and established the Santa Catalina Island Company to develop it as a resort. Their efforts were set back on November 29, 1915 when a fire burned half of Avalon's buildings, including six hotels and several clubs. World War I also hampered tourism, and the Banning brothers were forced to sell the island.
William Wrigley, Jr. bought Catalina Island in 1919 and devoted himself to preserving and promoting it. In 1921 he sold lots for building in the town of Avalon. The tourism industry was encouraged by the construction of a beautiful Art Deco dance hall, called the Casino, in 1929. Its upstairs dance floor has a capacity of over 6,000 dancers, and sits above the glamourous Avalon Theater, which seats 1,150. While the theater shows movies almost exclusively, it has the capabilities to host theatrical productions as well. The Casino's name derives from a more traditional Italian definition of casino, meaning social gathering place; the building has never served as a gambling establishment.
From 1927 through 1937 pottery and tile were made on the island, and these items are now collectible. The Chicago Cubs, also owned by Wrigley, used the island for the team's spring training from ca. 1920-1950, absent the war years of 1942-45.
During World War II, the island was closed to tourists and used as a military training facility.
Catalina's airport, the "Airport in the Sky" (AVX), was completed in 1946. The 3,250-foot (990-meter) runway sits on a mountaintop, 1,602 feet (488 meters) above sea level. Up until the time of the airport's construction, the only air service to the island was provided by seaplanes.
In 1975, Philip Wrigley deeded the Wrigley shares in the Santa Catalina Island Company to the Catalina Island Conservancy that he had helped create. The Conservancy now stewards 88 percent of the island. The mission of the Catalina Island Conservancy is to be a responsible steward of its lands through a balance of conservation, education and recreation.
Known shipwrecks in the waters off the island include the Diosa del Mar (33.462770° N 118.491925° W), which was sunk July 30, 1990 near Ship Rock.
The Catalina Casino was built on the site formerly known as Sugarloaf Point. This site was cleared away to allow for the construction of the Hotel St. Catherine. However, this hotel was eventually built in Descanso Canyon instead. When chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. bought the controlling stake in Catalina Island, he used this cleared spot to build the dance hall which he named Sugarloaf Casino. It served as a ballroom and Avalon's first high-school. Its time as a casino was short, however, for it proved too small for Catalina's growing population. In 1928, the Casino was razed to make room for a newer Casino. Sugarloaf Rock was blasted away to enhance the Casino's ocean-view.
In 1929, the newer Casino was built under the direction of Mr. Wrigley and David M. Renton at a cost of 2 million dollars. Its design, done by Sumner A. Spaulding and Walter Weber, is described as being Art Deco and Mediterranean Revival, and was the first to be designed specifically for movies with sound. The Casino's name derives from a more traditional Italian definition of casino, meaning social gathering place; the building has never served as a gambling establishment, and for many years did not serve alcoholic beverages.
The steel structure of the old Sugarloaf Casino can still be found in Avalon's abandoned bird park. The bird park was conceived by Mrs. Wrigley, and, at the time, was one of the largest aviaries in the world. The bird-park now serves as a daycare for the local residents of Avalon.
In 1993 the theater was photographed by Hiroshi Sugimoto for his series "Theaters." In September 2008, it played host to the first live full production of a musical on its stage: the Santa Catalina Island Company produced Grease!.
bed and breakfast new orleans
hotel de la minerva
the balmoral hotel edinburgh
tuscany hotel and casino
book hotel near
best costa rica beach hotels
hotel riu caribe
HOTEL ROYAL PLAZA IN THE WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT. HOTEL ROY « HOME » HOTELS WITH FULL BREAKFAST. HOTELS WITH
Post a comment